Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Then He Smiled At Me (Gather the Good)


If you had asked my feelings on the song "Little Drummer Boy" at any point in my life before 2007 I would've told you that it is my very least favorite Christmas song and it's ugly and I hate it. I had very strong feelings against this piece of music. Why? Two reasons. The horrid chorale version with the operatic first sopranos singing it without any feeling at all. And Rob and Laura Petrie's annoying little boy, Richie, sang it in one of the holiday episodes (and since I'm an old soul and the Dick Van Dyke Show has been one of my favorite shows since forever this was a big reason). Just yuck times yuck equals yuck, got it? No "Little Drummer Boy" for me, thanks!

So then you must be asking yourself what happened in 2007 that changed my mind. I'll tell you. Josh Groban released his Christmas Album Noel. Total transparency here: this album makes me cry every single bleedin' time I listen to it. It's been twelve years, folks, and I'm still crying. He's got a version of "Silent Night" that's absolutely perfect, and "I'll Be Home For Christmas" makes me want to sob, and he ends with this amazing full choral and organ version of  "O, Come All Ye Faithful" that's just churchy and thrilling all at once. The man knows how to sing a good Christmas song. Thus, it was his version of "Little Drummer Boy" that first broke through all my seasoned prejudice against it and revealed the sweet tenderness and beauty of this song.

I suppose, the story had gotten lost in those other versions. Robot sopranos don't exactly spin a great yarn about
a poor little boy eager to see a most special and holy baby with nothing to bring but an earnest and exuberant drum solo. And yeah, sure, in real life, no mother wants a little boy rocking out while her newborn tries to sleep. But set that aside and enjoy the narrative. After all, it's basically the story of what we have to offer the Christ Child.

"I am a poor boy too....I played my best for him....Then he smiled at me...."

The King of Kings, the Creator of all the Universe, the Keeper of every star, and the Master of all, arrived on our dusty, grubby planet as a very poor little baby. He experienced a level of poverty that I never have, and more than likely, never will. And yet, I am a poor girl, too. Poor in spirit. Without the Christ Child, I am as impoverished as it is possible to be. Praise be, it's not my best that earns His favor and thereby, salvation. He purchased my path to spiritual upward mobility with His own blood and sacrifice about thirty-three years after His birth on a wretched cross. That's why I give Him my best. Oh, believe me, my best is worth about as much as that poorly timed drum solo from the little boy. But it's what I have to give Him as an expression of thanks and awe and love. The best of my heart, the best of my attitude, the best of my thoughts, the best of my efforts, the best of my dreams, the best of my abilities....I'm also prone to forget and get lazy and self-centered, and need reminded of my poverty, my salvation, and have my best efforts renewed. Sometimes that comes in quiet contemplation and scripture reading, sometimes through a sermon, and sometimes in a song.

Below is a bulleted list of some of my favorite versions of "Little Drummer Boy".

  • Josh Groban, "Little Drummer Boy", Noel
  • Vince Guaraldi Trio, "My Little Drum", A Charlie Brown Christmas
  • Bing Crosby & David Bowie, "Peace on Earth/ Little Drummer Boy", Bing at Christmas
  • For King and Country, "Little Drummer Boy", Into the Silent Night 
  • Mannheim Steamroller, "Little Drummer Boy", A Fresh Aire Christmas 
And check out this electric performance by For King and Country. Watch for the mic drop at the end (it's not what you think when I say 'mic drop'). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holding Space

 I don't have to tell you that this has been a hard year. It's a collective experience. A brotherhood worldwide. All of us on planet...